Tuesday, February 8, 2011

This Years MLS Superdraft and MLS Draft

Hey all,
I would like to take a brief moment to talk about this years MLS draft. This is the year before my age group gets drafted and to me its actually been a pretty depressing time hahahah. Reason being that I played with and against a lot of these kids and I felt like I was good enough to play with them and yet they will be getting drafted and I probably won't. Having said that my goals in life have changed over the past three years after I found out what it takes to get to that next level and too be honest I don't think I would have been happy. However, hats off to my three friends Bryan Merideth (Seattle), Jon Okafor (Chivas USA), and Santiago Bedoya (Whitecaps). It was a pleasure to play with these three guys especial Bryan and Okafor. I was able to play with PDA Socrates alongside these two excellent players. I always thought that Merideth was one of the best goalkeepers in our age group and if he was put into the right environment and pushed sky's the limit. He has great technique, athletic as hell, great shot stopping abilities, good in the air, and he can play the ball with his left and right foot. My first tryout with PDA I thought he was a field player hahaha he could play on the field at the Division 1 college level if he wanted to. Jon Okafor, I feel that he is the most raw talent out there but I feel like his attitude and consitency have always let him down. I haven't seen Jon play since we are 18 but I heard good things about him from the combine and it seems like he is starting to really figure out the professionalism needed in the MLS. He was one of my good soccer friends that I really enjoyed being around and playing with. He made everything interesting and demanded the best from you. Lastly, I got a chance to play with Santi while I was attending Northeastern. Honestly, Within my two years there he was the most improved player at the school. His maturity increased dramitcally, his speed, consistency, touch, decisions, and confidence kept getting better and better every day we trained. I think and hope that we gets signed and has a chance at a professional career. He is a great person, fun to hang out with and I hope all the best for all three of these guys. The HOMEGROWN PLAYER! one thing the MLS is actually doing right is alllowing their teams to sign homegrown players. Red Bull has the best youth system in my opinion nationwide and they are going to produce the best talent to bring into their senior squad. Two major examples, Juan Agudelo (US national team and Red Bull academy product) has excelled and will continue to grow and develop. Also Matt Kasell from Bridgewater, NJ has decided to forgo his senior year and sign with the senior squad. And recently, Sacir Hot, another NJ product signed too. So I feel that MLS and Redbull are starting to get things right in the sense of youth soccer in America. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment